Tuesday, September 2, 2014

30-Day Challenge | Day 2

Day 2 | Write about one piece of technology that you would like to try this year, and why.  You might also write about what you're hoping to see out of this edtech integration.

Just one? I'm intrigued by Pear Deck.  I used Nearpod a couple of times last year and planned to incorporate it into my lessons better this year.  At a quick glance it seems like Pear Deck is similar to Nearpod, and since it works with Google Drive, I thought I'd start with that before going back to Nearpod seeing how I am loving Google right now.

Why? To get away from typical notes/lecture.  To help differentiate lessons.  I hope this helps with the flow and transitions within my class on a daily basis.  I hope it helps me track what students are doing and getting/not getting in some way.

I know it says one in the prompt, but I am going to list a second piece of technology: Google Classroom or Schoology.  We have an inservice on Schoology tomorrow since it is replacing Blackboard for our District.  With Blackboard we were never able to utilize the LMS side of things for our own classrooms (which was fine with me because I didn't care for it).  I think we are getting that with Schoology though.  I will wait to see what I think after the presentation tomorrow, but I remain skeptical.  

I really like Google Sites with Doctopus and I've spent a lot of time working on it and learning Sites better.  That's a big reason why I haven't pulled the plug on Google Classroom yet.  Having students have to login to see all of my classroom materials is a drawback I feel.  Parents don't have logins either, so with Sites I make just about everything public so anyone has access to the material(s).  I did see a post earlier today about Doctopus working with Classroom though, so we will see!!

What do I hope to get out of using Classroom or Schoology? Some forums/discussions maybe.  Clearer understanding of where materials are located for students to access.  I am constantly getting asked where to find things on the website.

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment