Monday, September 15, 2014

30-Day Challenge | Day 14 #reflectiveteacher

Day 14 | What is feedback for learning and how well do you give it to students?

I think of feedback for learning as any type of feedback given after instruction or some activity that lets someone know whether or not they have understood a concept.  The best type of feedback is when someone can see what it is that they understood (or didn't understand).  The feedback should also be given relatively quickly so that the learner hasn't forgotten about it already (although I suppose if it was meaningful then why would they forget it?).

Last year I began learning a little bit more about standards-based grading or learning.  I was intrigued by this concept.  It sounded like something that would fit nicely into a history classroom.  At the time, I was also teaching some computer classes and I thought it would work well there too.  Overall, the more I hear about it and see examples, it seems like something that just makes sense for all classes and all subjects.  

While I think SBG is an easy fit, I think there are a number of ways to provide solid feedback (discussed a little in the first paragraph).  I have not personally made the switch to SBG; it takes a lot of planning ahead of time and I am not the greatest at that right now.  It's something that I want to work with some colleagues on throughout the year; to try out slowly, or just craft the best approach and implement next year.

In regard to how well I give feedback, it is an area in need of improvement within my teaching.  I'm still stuck in that mode of feeling like I have to give "points" for assignments.  I have to be fully invested in SBG I think to cut the ties with traditional grading.  Not that I can't give good feedback within that system; I am just starting to feel like it is a little more effective when the focus is on "mastery of learning" instead.  I feel like I'm rambling...

No comments:

Post a Comment