Monday, September 15, 2014

30-Day Challenge | Day 15 #reflectiveteacher

Day 15 | Name three strengths that you have as an educator.

Strengths...I am my own worst critic, so here goes.

Rapport: I think I have a pretty decent rapport with my students, classes and athletes.  Yes, I'm including athletes because I think as a coach, you are still an educator, just on the track, etc.

I pride myself in making a point to not be judgmental with my students.  I try to go to different functions to see students outside of the classroom and support what they do.  I try to talk to them about those extra-curricular activities as much as possible.

I talk about my own experiences, kids, and extended family.

I don't do any of this because the flavor-of-the-month theory or researcher says to, I do it because it makes me more real in the eyes of my students.  They seem to forget sometimes that we have lives outside of the classroom and school.

Adaptabilty: I just love to use tech in the classroom whenever I can.  Not because I love technology, but because I am trying to give a lesson a different spin.  If I think it can be used to support learning effectively, then I'm all for it.  That isn't to say I haven't tried some things that haven't worked too well either.  When you try to incorporate technology into the classroom, it is inevitable that something will not work according to plan.  How do you react? I try to roll with it as much as possible, think on my feet and move on.  If my students see me do this, maybe they'll be able to do this when they are working with something.

I don't know everything: Huh? I have never tried to put up a facade that I know everything in class.  I think students and most people see right through people that do that.  We will look it up or I'll tell someone I will look into it and get back to them; I may not always remember if I don't have a note, but remind me! I am still learning; picking up new ideas or ways to do something, reading whenever I can, networking with some solid people that can help me if I need it.  How can I expect my students to get excited about learning if I'm not?

No comments:

Post a Comment